Northern Adult Autism Advice Service
The Northern Adult Autism Service is made up of a small multiagency team providing a service to adults with autism and those who support them. The key aims are:
- To help individuals with autism access a range of appropriate main-stream services, for example, employment and further education
- To offer individuals with autism one to one support for specific problems
- To offer post-diagnostic support
- To provide a safe place where individuals with autism can share their experiences.
(individuals may be supported by their carer/advocate to attend)
Who is the service for?
The service is for individuals aged 16yrs+ who have a diagnosis of autism, who reside in the Northern Trust Area.
The service operates an open/self referral system and offers advice and support.
One to one sessions
What are these for?
These sessions aim to help you with specific problems. For example:
- Support to manage difficult emotions
- Problem-solving for specific difficulties
- Support around education
- Support around employment and career progression
- Help to deal with housing and benefit issues;
- Advice about difficulties in relating to other people
- Gain more understanding about autism.
We ask that you come to the one to one session with a specific issue in mind, which we can focus on during the session.
Occasionally there will be some available appointments on the day. Please check with a member of staff at the Advice Service as they may be able to book you an appointment for that afternoon.
Northern Adult Autism Advice Service offers you the opportunity to attend this group after you have received a diagnosis of Autism. The aims of this group are to enable you to:
- Learn about autism
- Learn about how autism affects you
- Discuss the experience of receiving a diagnosis
- Discuss telling people about your diagnosis
- Learn about what further support is available to you.
If you have received your diagnosis through the Northern Trust you will have been asked if you would like to be added to the waiting list for this group and will be informed when the next group is available.
To book an appointment or to find out more contact:
The Braid Ballymena Town Hall,
Museum and Arts Centre
1 - 29 Bridge Street
Tuesdays 1.30pm - 4.30pm
Tel: 028 2766 1335
Email: AdultAutismService@ northerntrust.hscni.net
This service is provided in partnership with:
The Department of Employment and
The Northern Regional Colleges
Improving Benefits Uptake, Social Security
Citizens Advice Bureau
National Autistic Society
Page last updated:04 April 2014