Advice, Benefits and Money

Age NI Advice and Advocacy Services
Provider: Age NI
Description: Age NI provides an advocacy services for people experiencing difficulties negotiating the health and social care system, accessing appropriate levels of community care, dealing with issues relating to residential and nursing care. The charity’s advice and advocacy services also provide direct access to advice, information and practical support on a wide range of issues including welfare benefits, community care, housing and health.
Contact Tel: 080 8808 7575
For more information see:

Benefit Enquiry Line
Provider: NI Direct Government Services
Description: The benefit enquiry line provides general information and advice on the full range of benefits. It will help you with assessing eligibility for benefits and completion of benefits such as attendance allowance, disability living allowance and carer’s allowance claim forms.
Contact Tel: 0800 220 674
Helpline Tel: 0800 232 1271
For more information see:

Carers Allowance
Provider: NI Direct Government Services
Description: Carers Allowance is the main benefit for carers. It is intended to replace the income you might otherwise earn from a job if you were not caring.
Contact Tel: 0800 220 674
For more information see:

Citizens Advice Bureau
Provider: Citizens Advice Bureau
Description: Citizens Advice Bureau is a regional organisation which provides a range of advice and support services including designated advisors for older people.
Location: Farranshane House, 1 Ballygore Road, BT41 2RN
Frequency: N/A
Contact Tel: 028 9590 6505
For more information see

Disabled Facilities Grant
Description: This grant is available from the local council if the service user is disabled and need to make changes to their home, for example installing ramps, or adapting heating or lighting controls. This will not affect any benefits currently received by the applicant.
To claim, contact the local council for an application form
For more information see:

Fold Housing Floating Support Service
Provider: Fold Housing Association
Description: Available to private home owners as well as housing executive tenants, the scheme can assist those people aged 55 and over to remain in their own home for longer by providing a low level housing support service. The service can be provided for a period up to six months and is easily accessible by applying directly to Fold. An exit plan will be developed with the service user regarding longer support needs when they are exiting the scheme. Support can include: Befriending. Advising on food preparation. Reminding and non-specialist counselling where this does not conflict with similar services provided as personal care. Assistance with the maintenance of the safety of the dwelling. Assistance with arranging minor repairs to and servicing of domestic equipment and appliances. Assistance in how to engage with individuals, professionals and other bodies with an interest in the welfare of the service user. Assistance in dealing with claims to social security benefits and other official correspondence relevant to sustaining occupancy of the dwelling. Encouraging socialising, day trips, weekly luncheon clubs, coffee mornings and a range of other group activities
Contact Tel: 028 9042 8341
For more information see:

Independence at Home
Provider: Independence at Home Charity
Description: Independence at Home is a charity that exists to support independence at home for people with disability and long term illness. We do this by providing grants to people on the basis of need, regardless of age, gender and ethnicity, religious or cultural background. Applications for Independence at Home grants come from all over the UK. We rely on referrals from health and social care professionals or from workers of voluntary associations, who have direct knowledge of their service users' circumstances gained from a professional involvement in their care.
Contact Tel: 020 8427 792



Page last updated:31 July 2018