Financial support

Macmillan Benefits Advice Service

This Service provides advice and information about benefits, empployment and housing issues and aim to help people coping with cancer and to ensure that the patient, their family and carers receive everything to which they are entitled.  Patients can be seen locally in Antrim Area Hospital or Causeway Hospital by the Macmillan Benefits Advisers.
T:  028 9446 994 
M: 078 9528 7302

Social workers

A social worker may also be able to give you advice on sources of financial help. The social worker is part of the multi-disciplinary team involved in your care.

Citizens’ Advice Bureau

Your local Citizens' Advice Bureau can also give you financial and legal advice.  

Benefits & grants

Financial support is available in the form of benefits and grants and there is a number of ways you can live on a reduced income and borrow money safely.


The Social Security Agency (SSA) is responsible for benefits in Northern Ireland. It has different offices that handle these benefits, including Social Security or Jobs and Benefits offices, the Disability and Carers Service, and the Pension Service.
Freephone: 0800 220 674

Improving Benefit Uptake

Information on services can be accessed on  Specific information on Improving Benefit Uptake can be found on, select Social Security Agency tab and then select Improving Benefit Uptake tab.
Freephone: 0800 232 1271

Macmillan grants

Dependent on your income you may be entitled to a Macmillan grant which is a one-off payment for adults, young people or children with cancer, to cover a wide range of practical needs.

You need to apply through a health or social care professional, such as a social worker, district nurse, or a specialist palliative care nurse if you have one or a Macmillan Benefit adviser.

For people of working age

There are different types of financial help available to people under 65 years old.
For more information, please visit the department for Social Development website (Social Security Agency section) or contact the benefits adviser who will be able to explain what benefits you may be entitled to given your specific situation.

Employment rights

The Disability Discrimination Act protects anyone in Northern Ireland who has a terminal illness.
If you feel you have been discriminated in work because of your illness, please visit Citizens Advice website at  

For older people

If you are of pension age you may be entitled to certain benefits. For more information, please visit the Department for Social Development website (Social Security Agency section) or contact the Benefits Adviser who will be able to explain what benefits you may be entitled to given your specific situation.

For young people

CLIC Sargent

CLIC Sargent gives grants to young people to help with immediate financial needs. Any family with a child or young person aged 24 or under who is receiving treatment for cancer or palliative care can apply. Applications need to be made through a CLIC Sargent social worker or healthcare professional.
T: 0300 330 0803  

Cancer Fund for Children

The Northern Ireland Cancer Fund for Children offers financial support to children and young people under 25, with cancer, and their families, throughout Northern Ireland. They offer help with travel costs and one off grants.
T: 028 9080 5599

Many people with a serious illness find they feel the cold more and are at home for longer periods of time. Help is available to help you improve the heating systems and insulation in your home.

UK-wide payments

When weather has been particularly cold (temperatures of 0 or lower for seven consecutive days), the government will automatically make a weekly payment of £25 to people who receive certain benefits. Cold Weather Payments will automatically be made on top of your usual benefits.

Winter Fuel Payment

Winter Fuel Payment is a government scheme to help older people keep warm during winter. A yearly payment is made to both men and women who have reached state pension age.

Warm Homes

The Warm Homes Scheme provides grants to people living in Northern Ireland who are receiving certain benefits to make energy-saving changes, such as putting in loft or cavity wall insulation to their homes.
Freephone: 0800 988 0559 

EAGA grants

There are heating grants available for people who are sick, disabled, on a low income or are over 60.
Freephone: 0191 247 3800  


Speaking to your energy supplier

The Consumer Council for Northern Ireland has information about dealing with fuel bills. If you are living with a life-limiting illness, you should let your supplier know and they should then place you on the Priority Service Register, which gives you access to free extra services from your supplier. It also ensures your energy will not be cut off if you fall behind on your payments.
T: 028 9067 2488

Help with additional costs

For more information on help with these additional costs, contact the Macmillan Benefits Advisors.
T: 028 9446 9944

Sorting out your affairs

Managing debt

If the costs of living with a serious illness have caused you to fall into debt, you can take the following steps to regain control of your finances. The charity Step Change Debt can help. Its purpose is to assist people who are in financial difficulty by providing free, confidential debt advice and no-fee debt solutions.
Freephone: 0800 138 1111
Making a will

A will is a way of making sure your wishes are carried out after you die. If you leave a will, your executor will carry out its instructions. An executor is someone you nominate to sort out your money and property after you die. It may be a relative or friend, or a professional person such as a solicitor or bank manager.

More information on wills
Community Legal Service Direct
If I should die   
The Law Society (NI) 



Page last updated:07 August 2015