Community Mental Health Teams (Adult Services)
The CMHT is made up of mental health professionals and support staff including:
• Team Leader
• Consultant psychiatrist(s)/clinical lead
• Non-consultant medical staff
• Community mental health nurses
• Social workers
• Occupational therapist(s)
• Clinical psychologist
• Support workers
• Administrative staff
Aims of the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT)
• Provide a bio-psychosocial assessment to those with a likely mental illness.
• To advise on or provide appropriate treatment and management within available resources.
• To promote service user and carer involvement in treatment plans.
• To work in partnership with relevant agencies for the benefit for service users and carers.
• At all times provide a quality service.
Many service users treated by the CMHT will be referred back to their GPs following a time limited intervention. Others may be referred on to more appropriate services. The priority is for service users with severe and enduring mental illness. Some however, will remain with the team for ongoing treatment, care and monitoring for longer periods. They will include people needing ongoing specialist care for:
- Severe and persistent mental disorders associated with significant disability, predominantly psychoses such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
- Longer term disorders of lesser severity, which are characterised by difficulties in engagement requiring pro-active intervention.
- Disorders requiring skilled or intensive treatments not available in primary care.
- Complex problems of management and engagement such as presented by service users requiring interventions under the Mental Health Order
- Disorders of personality where these can be shown to benefit by continued contact and support.
- CMHT provide assessment for people aged between 18-64 years who are experiencing mental health problems and directs them to appropriate services.
Referrals are via GPs or other mental health service providers
The teams promote service user and carer involvement in treatment plans. They also work in partnership with relevant agencies. There are eight Adult Mental Health Teams covering different areas across the Trust. These teams provide a service from 9.00am - 5.00pm (Monday to Friday). Other planned activities may take place outside these hours.
60 Steeple Road
Antrim BT41 2RJ
Tel: 028 9441 3650
Audley Centre 27 Ballymoney Road Ballymena BT43 5BS
Tel: 028 25647766
Ballymoney Resource Centre
17-19 Newal Road
Tel: 028 2766 0350
Moyle Medical Building
14 Old Glenarm Road Larne Road
Larne BT40 1RW
Tel: 028 28266200
Coleraine Resource Centre
Lower Ground Floor
7 Castlerock Road
Tel: 028 7034 2721
52 Orritor Road
Cookstown BT80 8BN
Tel: 028 8672 3972
Magherafelt CMHT Loughview Resource Centre 2-4 Ballyronan Road
Tel: 028 79302950
Newtownabbey Team 1 CMHT
Tel: 028 9055 2648
Newtownabbey Team 2 CMHT
Tel: 028 9055 2648
Page last updated:20 February 2013