Residential Care

Residential care is provided to people, who need care and support to such an extent that it cannot be provided in their own homes.

What we provide

The Trust directly provides residential care for older people in seven homes across the Trust.

You may find the information leaflet Choosing a Care Home useful. The Trust aims to support people to live in their own homes for as long as possible, but if this proves to be impractical, Trust staff will then carry out a multi-disciplinary assessment on the individual needs of the person and help service users and their carers in making an appropriate choice.

Residential care is supplemented by other community-based services such as district nursing and podiatry. If the individual then requires a level of nursing care that cannot be provided by community nurses they may need to transfer to a nursing home. The Trust does not directly provide nursing home care but can arrange for that type of care through the independent sector.

Trust homes are subject to inspection by the Regulation & Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA) and copies of inspection reports can be accessed through RQIA.

Northern Health and Social Care Trust Private Care Home Vacancy Analysis

Regional Residential and Nursing Home Specification and Contract 

How do I access this service?

If an individual or their carer/relative believes they need residential care they can contact their nearest social services office or can access an assessment through their health and social care staff member involved in their care, or through their GP.

Related links
Supported living for older people
First Connect - Supporting people in later life to live independently in their homes and communities

Page last updated:03 September 2018