Temporary arrangements during Covid-19
The Paediatric Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Service is available to support families of children and young people with ASD and those currently awaiting ASD assessment at this time. A number of resources and recommended websites are available to help support families, children and young people.
If however you feel as a family you need further support than these resources provide, please phone 028 2563 3777 or email PaediatricAutismService@northerntrust.hscni.net.
Your call will be directed to a Specialist ASD therapist. They will then contact you directly to discuss your concerns, provide you with advice, reassurance and further resources if appropriate.
We aim to respond to any calls/enquiries within three working days. The service is open Monday – Friday (9:30am – 4:00pm). If leaving a voicemail or sending an email please ensure you provide a current telephone number that a staff member can contact you on.
We are also available to provide support to our professional colleagues to support to them as they in turn support children and young people with ASD and their families at this time. Any professional can access this support as detailed above.
We appreciate that this is challenging time for all our children, young people, parents and carers. We hope that this content will provide useful information to support you during this period of social distancing.
Paediatric Autism Podcasts
We have produced a selection of podcasts on autism for parents, carers and young people. The topics include:
- Conversations to have before an ASD assessment
- Why does my child go from 0-100?
- Good sleep and how to get it
- Supporting what you say in a visual way
The podcasts are available on Spotify, Apple Podcasts and Google Podcasts.
- Let's talk about 'bad' behaviour April 19, 2021 Paediatric Autism Service, Northern Health and Social Care Trust
- Supporting what you say in a visual way March 30, 2021 Paediatric Autism Service, Northern Health and Social Care Trust
- Why does my child go from 0-100? February 6, 2021 Paediatric Autism Service, Northern Health and Social Care Trust
- Good sleep and how to get it February 6, 2021 Paediatric Autism Service, Northern Health and Social Care Trust
- Conversations to have before an ASD assessment February 5, 2021 Paediatric Autism Service, Northern Health and Social Care Trust
Anxiety and Stress Resources
Shared with the kind permission of the Southern Health and Social Care Trust.
- Coping with COVID isolation
- COVID-19 Advice for Parents and Carers
- COVID-19 Helpful Resources
- COVID-19 Kids Workbook
- COVID-19 Advice for Parents and Carers
- Guide to Living with Worry and Anxiety admidst Global uncertainty
- Helpful Resources re COVID-19
- Mental Health Considerations
- Talking to children about Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Social Story
General Service Information
As a parent or carer you may notice that your child or young person has symptoms of ASD. This section of the website aims to give you the information you need on the ASD assessment process, what happens after and on the support available to your child or young person and your family.
If you have concerns about your child or young person, you should firstly speak to your GP, health visitor or other professional involved with your child.
A health professional may make a referral to the Paediatric ASD Service. All referrals are processed through a central point and appointments are offered on a chronological basis across the Northern Trust area.
Paediatric Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Service
In line with the Regional Autistic Spectrum Disorder Network (RASDN) ‘Six Steps of Autism Care’, the Paediatric ASD service aims to provide and deliver a high quality assessment and diagnostic service for children and young people where concerns regarding ASD have been identified, provide support to children / young people with a diagnosis of ASD and their families, and support professionals within the NHSCT working with children / young people with ASD. The Paediatric ASD service is a three-fold service offering an Assessment and Diagnostic service, Post Diagnostic Support and an Intervention service.
The Paediatric ASD team is a multi-disciplinary team and includes:
- Community Paediatricians
- Speech & Language Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- ASD Therapists (Social Workers, Speech and Language Therapists and Nursing Professionals)
The team is also supported by full time administration and clerical officers.