Who is required to register?
Under the Children (Northern Ireland) Order 1995 you are required to register with your local Trust if you wish to provide a service as a childminder, set up a day nursery, a playgroup, a crèche, a holiday scheme or to become a home carer.
Under the Order you will not have to register if you provide supervised activities such as those provided by:
• uniformed organisations, i.e., Scouts
• religious activities
• leisure and recreational activities
• activities occurring in schools designed to enhance a child’s skills or attainments
• education tuition.
However, not all these activities are excluded and you should contact your local Early Years Registration and Inspection Team for advice on whether you are required to register. Contact details are provided below.
Purpose of registration
The purpose of registration is:
• to protect children
• promote good standards of child care provision
• re-assure parents about the facilities providing care
• help childminders and day care providers to offer a good quality of service to children and their parents.