Interpreting and Translation Services
The Northern Trust has a diverse population and all our service users and carers have a right to effective communication, in a form and language, that enables them to understand the information provided. This includes the right to an appropriately qualified interpreter. We are committed to ensuring that people understand the treatment and support options available.
Arranging an interpreter for your appointment
If you need an interpreter for a health and social care appointment you must arrange it through the hospital department or services you are visiting. Interpreters are available 24 hours, 7 days and week for inpatient, outpatient and within community services.
If you require any of the information we provide in a minority language or alternative format, please contact the Equality Unit.
Booking a Sign Language Interpreter
Deaf people or Trust staff can book Sign Language interpreters.
To book a Sign Language interpreter please contact the Equality Unit with the following information:
- Name of person using the Interpreter
- Date and time of appointment
- The length of time the appointment will last
- Address of where it is
- What the appointment is for
- Your name and contact details if you are booking the interpreter on behalf of another Deaf person
- Communication Support Required, BSL (British Sign Language) or ISL (Irish Sign Language)
- Please make the booking well in advance, preferably at least three weeks before the date of the appointment. The Trust will try to provide you with your preferred interpreter but no guarantee can be made
- Please let us know of any cancellation of appointments as the Trust is charged for cancellations.
Out of Hours
If you require a sign language interpreter (out of hours and in an emergency) contact RNID (previously known as Action on Hearing Loss) on 0700 341 8352 (if you are using a textphone/typetalk prefix this number with 18001).
Bookings for sign language interpreter between the hours of 9 am to 5 pm must be made by contacting the Equality Unit.