Clinical Pharmacy Services
The Clinical Pharmacy Team of pharmacists and technicians provides a comprehensive range of services to ensure optimisation of medicines use.
Many wards within the Northern Trust operate One Stop Dispensing which involves :
- taking an accurate medication history on admission and reconciling with the kardex
- ensuring all medicines are available in the locked drawer by the patient bedside
- optimising re-use patients own medicines
- monitoring of medicines during hospital stay
- discharge planning and completion of discharge prescriptions
- provision of specialist counselling on drug therapy
Many of the Pharmacists in the Trust are Independent Prescribers. This means they are able to prescribe the correct medication, enabling patients to receive their medication in a timely manner.
The Team also provides:
- adverse drug events reporting
- patient education
- doctor/nurse education
- participation in ward rounds and ward team meetings
- improved compliance with prescribing policies and hospital formulary
Clinical Pharmacists also provide services to specialised clinics eg, rheumatology, warfarin, pre-admission for surgery, renal and renal transplant, and have input at cardiac and pulmonary rehab classes.
The Antimicrobial Pharmacy Team, consisting of pharmacists and technicians, provide expert advice on antibiotics, and monitor use to ensure they are prescribed appropriately