Early Years Service
The Early Years Service registers, monitors and inspects day care facilities for children under 12 years of age. This includes childminders, playgroups, day nurseries, crèches and out of school provision.
This service is responsible for registration, monitoring and inspection of day care provision for children under 12 years in the Northern Trust area. The service is committed to raising the quality, range and accessibility of day care provision for children and their families. This is pursued through working in partnership with families, providers and relevant agencies to ensure children benefit from safe, stimulating, caring experiences.
The following is a summary of what the social workers in the Early Years Teams do:
- Register, monitor and inspect childminders, playgroups, day nurseries, crèches and out of school provision.
- Offer training and support for day care providers and act as link workers to each childminder and day care facility.
- Liaise with statutory and voluntary agencies to raise the profile of high quality early years provision and maintain a register of all Early Years Day Care Facilities in the Northern Trust.
- Develop publicity and information strategies for public use and identify areas lacking in registered day care provision and work towards new provision.
- Provide advice and guidance for potential and exiting day care providers.
- Promote equality of opportunity.
- Develop, innovate and provide guidance for potential and existing day care providers and promote equality of opportunity.
- Develop innovative projects, which benefit parents and children in need of support and network throughout Northern Ireland with other Early Years specialists.
- Encourage partnership with all relevant people and promote imaginative community development and help groups to access funding.
- Advise parents on the choices available to them and their children.
Early Year teams
There are three Early Year Teams in the Northern Trust area. Hours of service: 9.00am – 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.