The Causeway Hospital is located on the Newbridge road on the outskirts of Coleraine. It is one of two Northern Trust acute hospitals. This hospital has an Emergency Department.
The Hospital’s Emergency Department includes an area for patients brought in by ambulance, who require further investigation and treatment but may not need to be admitted to hospital.
If you have an urgent problem (excluding serious illness or injury) and are considering travelling to Causeway Hospital Emergency Department, please phone first on: 0300 123 1 123, Text Relay: 18001 0300 123 1 123 or use the ‘Interpreter Now’ app.
An Out of Hours GP service is located beside the Emergency Department.
The Direct Assessment Unit, specializes in the care of frail, older patients. Patients are referred by their GP and it is designed to reduce hospital admissions and avoid a wait in the Emergency Department. This is a referral only service.
A multi-agency, frailty project is also underway, aimed at engaging with and improving health and wellbeing of older people.
A new state of the art gynaecological unit, The Meadows, opened at Causeway Hospital in 2018.
With support from the Belfast Trust, a Paediatric Day Surgery service was established in Causeway, enabling local children to have surgery quicker and closer to their homes.
Services delivered at this location
- Acute Children’s Nursing Services
- Acute Physiotherapy Service (Inpatient service)
- Angina Services
- Bereaved By Suicide
- Brain Injury Service
- Cardiology Services
- Children’s Dietetics
- Children’s Occupational Therapy Service
- Children’s/Paediatric Nursing Service
- Chronic Pain Services
- Community Children’s Nursing (CCN)
- Critical/Intensive Care Services
- Diabetes and pregnancy
- Diabetes Services
- Diabetes services and classes
- Direct Assessment Units
- Eating, Drinking and Swallowing Difficulties (Dysphagia)
- Emergency Departments
- Endoscopy Services
- Frailty Direct Assessment Unit (DAU), Causeway Hospital
- Heart Failure Service
- Lower gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Macmillan Physiotherapist
- Macmillan Social Worker
- Macmillan Specialist Palliative Care Team
- Maternity Services
- Minor Injuries Units
- Nursing home REaCH service
- Orthoptic Service
- Palliative Medicine Consultants
- Pharmacy Services
- Pre-Operative Assessment Service
- Rheumatology Drugs
- Stroke Services