Causeway Hospital is located on the Newbridge Road on the outskirts of Coleraine. It is one of two Northern Trust acute hospitals. This hospital has an Emergency Department.
The Hospital’s Emergency Department includes an area for patients brought in by ambulance, who require further investigation and treatment but may not need to be admitted to hospital.
An Out of Hours GP service is located beside the Emergency Department.
A Direct Assessment Unit specialises in the care of frail, older patients. Patients are referred by their GP and it is designed to reduce hospital admissions and avoid a wait in the Emergency Department. This is a referral only service.
A new state of the art gynaecological unit, The Meadows, opened at Causeway Hospital in 2018.
With support from the Belfast Trust, a Paediatric Day Surgery service was established in Causeway, enabling local children to have surgery quicker and closer to their homes.
Due to the impact of Covid-19, and the focus on infection prevention and social distancing, a Phone First system has been introduced at the Emergency Department. ‘Phone First’ is for patients (including children) who are unwell and considering travelling to Antrim Area or Causeway Hospital Emergency Departments (EDs) or the Mid Ulster Hospital Minor Injuries Unit, and those with an injury or illness which requires urgent treatment but is not immediately life threatening.
Read more in Phone First Frequently Asked Questions.
Services delivered at this location
- Acute Children’s Nursing Services
- Acute Physiotherapy Service (Inpatient service)
- Angina Services
- Bereaved By Suicide
- Brain Injury Service
- Breastfeeding Peer Support Service
- Cardiology Services
- Children’s Dietetics
- Children’s Occupational Therapy Service
- Children’s/Paediatric Nursing Service
- Chronic Pain Services
- Community Children’s Nursing (CCN)
- Critical/Intensive Care Services
- Diabetes Education
- Diabetes Services
- Direct Assessment Units
- Emergency Departments
- Endoscopy Services
- Frailty Direct Assessment Unit (DAU), Causeway Hospital
- Heart Failure Service
- Macmillan Physiotherapist
- Macmillan Social Worker
- Macmillan Specialist Palliative Care Team
- Maternity Services
- Minor Injuries Units
- Nursing home REaCH service
- Orthoptic Service
- Palliative Medicine Consultants
- Pharmacy Services
- Pre-Operative Assessment Service
- Stroke Services