www.breastfedbabies.org – The NHSCT promotes the use of the Public Health Agencies Breastfedbabies.org website as it has valuable resources on infant feeding and relationship building including videos, links to publications and how to access support across Northern Ireland.
Unicef UK Baby Friendly – An extremely valuable and informative resource for parents and staff with a vast array of videos, links and research based information covering all aspects of infant feeding in a range of different languages and easy read guides.
Breastfeeding Network – The breastfeeding network has a lot of very useful information in relation to infant feeding. In particular the Drugs factsheets can be very useful for families considering the use of a particular medication or potential procedures which may have an impact on infant feeding. The drugs factsheets are all developed by prescribing pharmacists.
First Steps in Nutrition Trust – An independent public health nutrition charity who provide resources for health workers and families on eating well, from pre-conception to five years. Including evidence based information regarding formula milks and support/additional information in regards to weaning and healthy eating for pregnant mothers, infants and older babies.
Resources in different languages
- Foreign language resources – Baby Friendly Initiative (unicef.org.uk)
- Lullaby Trust publications – The Lullaby Trust
- Breastfeeding videos – Global Health Media (Choose a language from the dropdown menu and then click on Breastfeeding)
- www.llli.org/breastfeeding-info Select Find your Language – beside the globe at top of page. There is also a google search button to select a language)
Breastfeeding Support Helplines
These helplines are provided by the voluntary sector and are manned by their individual organisations trained volunteers. They are all available 365 days of the year and are available into the late evening and on weekends /bank holidays when a lot of community based NHS staff are not available.
- National Breastfeeding Helpline on 0300 100 0212, 9.30am to 9.30pm.
- National Breastfeeding Helpline in Welsh and Polish on 0300 100 0212, press 1 for Welsh and 2 for Polish.
- NCT’s support line on 0300 330 0700 is open every day, 8am to midnight.
- La Leche League on 0345 120 2918, 8am to 11pm.
- Association of Breastfeeding Mothers Breastfeeding helpline on 0300 330 5453, 9.30am to 10.30pm.
- Breastfeeding Network supporter line on 0300 100 0210, 9.30am to 9.30pm.
- Breastfeeding Network Supporter line in Bengali/Sylheti on 0300 456 2421, 9.30am to 9.30pm.
Opening times include weekends and bank holidays.