Young Parents Support
Young Parents Midwife
Finding out you are pregnant as a young parent can be daunting, especially if the pregnancy was not planned.
But help is available and here at the NHSCT we have a dedicated Young Parent’s Midwife, Denise Bennett, who specialises in the care of young mums aged 19 and under. She will support and advise you throughout your pregnancy.
Young Parent Education Classes
Denise runs group and one-to-one antenatal classes, face to face or via zoom, to provide young parents with support in the following areas:
- Signs and stages of labour
- Pain relief and relaxation
- Feeding your baby
- Making a birth plan
- Tour of the labour ward
Other classes that may be available to you are;
- Antenatal Yoga (Causeway only)
- Breastfeeding Workshops
- If you live in the Causeway area, Denise will see you both at home and at the clinic in the Causeway Hospital.
- If you live in the Ballymena or Antrim area, Denise will see you at home or at the antenatal clinic in Ballymena Health and Care Centre.
- For all young parents Trust wide within the NHSCT, Denise is available for advice and support through a texting service.
Family Nurse Partnership (FNP)
Family Nurse Partnership (FNP) is a 1-to-1 home visiting programme designed to support first time teenage mothers from early pregnancy until their child reaches two years old.
It aims to;
- improve pregnancy outcomes
- child health and development
- the economic self-sufficiency of the family
Introducing a new approach to nursing, we work with parents to help them build upon their own skills and resources to confidently parent their child, whilst encouraging them to think about their own future aspirations.
It can significantly improve outcomes for young parents from disadvantaged communities who have experienced hardship.
For more information, speak to your Midwife or visit;