Public Health Agency Dysphagia Resources
- Hard To Swallow Poster– information to help identify adults with eating drinking and swallowing difficulties.
- How to Help People with Swallowing Difficulties Keep Their Mouths Clean – information for carers and staff to support oral hygiene for people with swallowing difficulties.
- PATH Resource – Position, Alert, Textures, Help – information for anyone caring or assisting a person with swallowing difficuties to support safe swallowing at mealtimes.
- Dysphagia Adverse Incident Trigger List – Information for Healthcare staff on reporting swallowing related incidents or “near misses” using local risk management systems.
- NI Formulary Website Poster – Medication information for adults with swallowing difficulties – everything at just one click for healthcare professionals, patients and carers
International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative
IDDSI has created handouts to be used by people who have feeding, chewing or swallowing problems, their caregivers and clinicians. There are separate handouts that have been designed for adults, and handouts that have been designed for use with babies and children. The handouts provide more information about each IDDSI level and their testing methods. The food levels include examples of foods for each level, and food textures to avoid.
Handouts for Adults
- Level 0 – thin (PDF)
- Level 1 – slightly thick (PDF)
- Level 2 – mildly thick (PDF)
- Level 3 – moderately thick (PDF)
- Level 4 – Extremely Thick (PDF)
- Level 4 – Pureed (PDF)
- Level 5 – Minced and Moist (PDF)
- Level 6 – Soft and Bite sized (PDF)
- Level 7 – Easy to Chew (PDF)
- Level 7 – Regular (PDF)
© The International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative 2019 @ https://iddsi.org/framework. Licensed under the CreativeCommons Attribution Sharealike 4.0 License https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode. Derivative works extending beyond language translation are NOT PERMITTED.
Medication information for adults with swallowing difficulties
Did you know that you can get easy access to everything you need to know about medication for adults with swallowing difficulties at www.niformulary.hscni.net
Other useful websites