The EQUIP programme
An innovative new health & wellbeing programme for cancer patients has been launched in the Northern Trust area to prepare you for your treatment. Cancer Prehabilitation combines exercise, nutrition and emotional wellbeing into one programme known as the EQUIP programme.
It is designed to help you take an active role in your cancer care and live as well as possible with and beyond cancer.
- To help prepare you for treatment, including surgery
- To help you physically and emotionally cope during your cancer treatment
- To promote a speedy recovery after your treatment is finished
- Reduced length of stay following surgery
- Quicker return to usual level of activity
- Reduced risk of developing blood clots, chest infections and other major complications related to surgery and cancer treatment (chemotherapy and radiotherapy)
- Ability to maintain an appropriate weight and meet your nutritional needs
- Feeling less tired following your surgery and cancer treatment
Support and Advice
Through the EQUIP Prehabilitation Programme you will receive support and advice from a wide range of staff including Consultants, Cancer Nurse Specialists, Physiotherapists, Dietitians, Occupational Therapists, Pre-assessment team, Macmillan Information and Support and Macmillan Move More Coordinators in the local leisure centres.
Once the team assesses you, they will refer you to the appropriate professionals who will give you information and advice that is specific to your individual needs.
There are a range of videos available on this web page that will help you to understand Prehabilitation and why it is important for you to follow the advice you have been given. The health professionals involved in your care will advise you which videos are particularly important to you.
Once you have watched the different videos if you have any questions please contact..