Antrim Area Hospital
Antrim Area Hospital is one of the busiest hospitals for unscheduled care services in Northern Ireland. The hospital’s state of the art emergency department, which opened in 2013, caters for approximately 90,000 patients per year.
Due to the impact of Covid-19, and the focus on infection prevention and social distancing, a Phone First system has been introduced at the Emergency Department.
If you have an urgent problem (excluding serious illness or injury) and are considering travelling to Antrim Area Hospital Emergency Department, please phone first on: 0300 123 1 123, Text Relay: 18001 0300 123 1 123 or use the ‘Interpreter Now’ app.
In addition, the Hospital has a Direct Assessment Unit where GPs can speak directly with medical staff to receive specialist advice and, if appropriate, to arrange a referral to the unit where treatment can begin immediately. This means people can avoid unnecessary waits in the Emergency Department.
The Hospital has opened a Medical Programme Treatment Unit and is developing an Acute Care at Home Model and a new Paediatric Ambulatory Unit.
The hospital has 366 beds available for acute care. In addition, it offers obstetrics, neonatal services, paediatrics, palliative care and renal dialysis, as well as a specialist dental unit.
Temporary arrangements during Covid-19 Pandemic
Relocation of Antrim Area Hospital Outpatients 4
Please note that Outpatients Department 4, which covers antenatal appointments and red flag gynae clinics, has relocated from Level A to Level B (same level as the main door) in Antrim Area Hospital. All outpatient appointments are still running as normal, if there are changes you will be contacted directly.
Please only attend your appointment if you are well and remember that the pregnancy helpline is also available to provide support and advice if needed – 028 9442 4859.
Assistance when arriving at hospital
If you require assistance when arriving at the hospital, for example a wheelchair, please ask at reception which is located to your left as you come through the main entrance of the hospital on level B.
Reception staff or our volunteers will be able to direct you to the wheelchair store. There are a number of wheelchairs available for public use at Antrim Hospital. We do not currently offer a pre-booking service.
Services delivered at this location
- Acute Children’s Nursing Services
- Acute Physiotherapy Service (Inpatient service)
- Bereaved By Suicide
- Brain Injury Service
- Breast Care Services
- Breast Screening Services
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Cardiology Services
- Child and Adolescent Eating Disorder Service
- Children’s Dietetics
- Children’s Occupational Therapy Service
- Children’s/Paediatric Nursing Service
- Chronic Pain Services
- Community Children’s Nursing (CCN)
- Critical/Intensive Care Services
- Day Surgery
- Diabetes and pregnancy
- Diabetes Services
- Diabetes services and classes
- Direct Assessment Unit (DAU), Antrim Area Hospital
- Direct Assessment Units
- Drug and alcohol misuse service for young people (DAMHS)
- Eating, Drinking and Swallowing Difficulties (Dysphagia)
- Elective Surgical Unit (C4)
- Emergency Departments
- Endoscopy Services
- Heart Failure Service
- Lower gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Macmillan Occupational Therapist
- Macmillan Physiotherapist
- Macmillan Social Worker
- Macmillan Specialist Palliative Care Team
- Maternity Services
- Mental Health Liaison Service
- Minor Injuries Units
- Multiple Sclerosis Service
- Neurology Services
- Nursing home REaCH service
- Orthodontic Service
- Orthoptic Service
- Palliative Medicine Consultants
- Pharmacy Services
- Pre-Operative Assessment Service
- Programmed Treatment Unit Antrim Hospital
- Renal Services
- Rheumatology Drugs
- Routine Breast Screening
- Specialist Palliative Care Inpatient units
- Stroke Services
- Symptomatic Breast Service